24 May 2007

I'm a sinner, not a saint

May 9, 2007 – Wednesday              I’M A SINNER, NOT A SAINT

Blog 2

 

Just this afternoon, after lunch, while Neil and me were hanging out and having some puffs outside Something’s, an old lady about the age of 50-up went on us and she was murmuring something. She was a complete stranger, she was saying something to me, I could not understand what she was saying like her speech ability was malfunctioning, and she was shaking like she could not control her muscles. I got scared and I immediately grabbed my bag towards me. She kept murmuring while Neil and I looked at each other, then suddenly she held her hand up towards me and I saw a few one-peso coins in her hand. She was saying something and what I could understand was “konting barya lang hindi pa kasi ako kumakain”. I tapped my uniform pocket and I felt a few coins on it; I got the coins, it was 6 pesos but I realized it was supposed to be my fare going home. I thought she needed the 6 pesos more than I do so I gave the money to her and she thanked me. She went to the other table and asked for money, then she returned to our table and she was saying something again, she pointed me and told me with her shaking voice “Salamat talaga, makakakain na ako. Itong bata’ng ito magiging doctor ka. Ikaw ang gagamot sa akin, gagamutin moko para si nanay hindi na sasakit and dito ( she touched her heart).” Then she looked at Neil and said the same thing that we will both become doctors. She kept saying that with shaking body and voice while she was slowly waling away from us. The last thing I said to her was “mag-ingat po kayo.” I was so touched with that experience. At least someone, aside from myself and Andrew Cadena, believed that I’m gonna be a doctor. Unfortunately my mom doesn’t want me to because the profit is higher with my soon-profession, nursing. With what happened, I think I’m gonna have a second thought about pursuing medicine. If only I have much money, I will help helpless people. I’m not a saint, I am a sinner but sinner is just a sinner, not a devil.

4 comments: